Monday, April 11, 2011

Getting back on track.

Ever since I first visited the New York Jewish district, I have felt a deep intrigue about the jewish people and culture. I would say its more a fascination.  I have always found the language to be  very beautiful and the culture have found very fascinating. It probably has to do a lot with my christian heritage and trying to rediscover the roots of my beliefs in the hebrew language and culture of the past. My mom used to read us childrens bible stories and to me they were just stories growing up, but I have to remind myself that they werent just stories, the area that surrounds Israel and Israel itself is where these stories actually took place. I am not a zionist but I support Israel and hope for one day there being a reunification of Israel and its palestine brothers( yes I said brothers).
   These are some reasons why I am learning hebrew. I also would like to read the old testament in its original language. So I started back on my path to learning and after 4 months I am on lesson 6 but I have progressed slowly so as to not forget it. This is one of the ways I am learning Hebrew:
http://www.learnhebrewpod.com/default.asp
But I also am using a few biblical hebrew books as well as a few iphone apps to help. I also have been listening to hebrew radio a bit to hear some hebrew being spoken to better immerse myself.

There are many people who are fascinated with other cultures, they learn the language , they embrace the culture and eat the food, and even though I get a lot of grief from friends for trying to learn Hebrew I don't care, I still will. I don't see how learning hebrew is different from learning any other language or culture.... Maybe after learning Hebrew I will start learning Arabic.

1 comment:

  1. Tim this is wonderful! My pastor has been speaking about the Jewish festivals this month and it is wonderfully exciting to learn the history of the festivals. We learned the history of Hanukkah this Sunday, I was enthralled with it. I am adding to undergo a real Hanukkah ceremony to my adventure list. I am excited. Hebrew is a great choice. Maybe God will use that later in life.

    ReplyDelete